Monday, June 18, 2012

Like old times

Jon and I dropped the kids off at Papaw and Nana's on Saturday and went to Columbus. We had such a great time. It reminded us both of when we were dating in college. We even enjoyed the time together while stuck in traffic. We listened to Jon's itunes and even the regular radio. (I am usually listening to toddler favorites and bible schools songs in my car, so all the songs on the radio sounded new to me! ha!) We weren't in a huge hurry and had time to just think about being together. We had time to talk serious and light hearted.

Jon said he was hungry for philly steak for lunch but we doubted we could find one outside of a mall food court. So we headed on to the stores and what did we see across the street? A phillie steak restaurant! yay!
The stores we actually went to Columbus for didn't prove to be fruitful but Jon suggested we stop at a store we passed along the way and we hit the jackpot there! We found lampshades to match our new bedding and a painting that I love for the dining room. It makes me happy every time I see it. I like that Jon and I share a love of art. We like abstract art that "speaks to us". The picture in the dining room doesn't speak to Jon and  to be truthful, it doesn't actually speak to me. But it makes me happy. I smile every time I see it. It's kind of like hearing an oldies song. My heart lifts and the corners of my mouth do too. And the day was so enjoyable that now I attach that memory to the painting too.
On the way home Jon had another idea to stop at an antique shop. Those of you who know me, know my theory about antiques. Why pay a lot of money for junk that either doesn't work now, never did or you could buy cheaper new. However, since we were having such a great time I figured I'd just enjoy being with Jon and maybe find some fun trinket for the kids.
Right when we walked in the door there was a painted oak cabinet. It was old and had the honest worn look to it. It is painted robin egg blue and we both loved it. The best part is that the price was a steal! We snagged it as well as a large ten candle -candle holder for the fireplace. Our chimney needs work and as our sweet German landlady said "expensive to fix, no use". So we "no use" but can enjoy having lit candles in it if we like. So we found the candle holder and cabinet and crossed the street only to have to shuffle things around in Jon's little car. The lamp shades, painting, cabinet and candle holder barely fit in the car. Once we got to my mom's we had to leave the cabinet there in order to be able to take our children home with us! Oh the joys of his car just keep giving.
I kid.... sort of.

We will get the cabinet to our house soon and I'll get pictures of our treasures.

The day together was so refreshing. The sun, the radio, the drive, the hand holding. It felt like old times and made my heart full.

1 comment:

  1. So glad it was a good day! I'm looking forward to seeing your purchases soon!

    ReplyDelete