Monday, May 17, 2010

The smell of

I love the smell of scotch tape.

Yep, you can find me in an office store wandering through the office supplies just for the smell of it. I love the smell of post-it notes, carbon paper and old books. I like the smell of puppy breath, babies heads and especially "outside" smell. People tell me that I have a sensitive sense of smell. I never thought it was out of the ordinary until I realized on a walk one day that I could tell which of the houses were doing their laundry simply because I could smell it coming out of their dryer vents! And that, the smell of fresh laundry, is one of my top favorite smells. Like Phoebe's brother on "Friends" I could curl up in a pile of clean laundry and fall asleep.

Pastor Nate talked about smells last Sunday. He actually referred to them as "fragrances". He encouraged us to be a fragrance that draws others in; one that attracts other people. Let's face it, often we stink. Not just because we need a bath, but because our attitudes are rotten; our spirits need cleaned up. Not many people want to be around us when we smell more like old locker room than we do clean laundry.

Jesus smelled good.

His spirit was the best smelling laundry one could find and because of it, people came to Him in droves. I want to be like Jesus- a fragrance so sweet that people can't stay away. A smell that draws people close and leaves a lingering fragrance long after I've gone. You know, one that smells remarkably like Christ's laundry.

2 Corinthians 2:14-15a
But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.

1 comment: