Sunday, January 16, 2011

Using devotions as a horoscope

I over analyze things.

Often, unfortunately, this includes spiritual things. God is patient with me and apparently is showing me when I do this so that I can change my behavior.
To that end, I realized on Friday that I have been using my devotional as a horoscope. When I look at my devotional for the day I read into it what I suspect my challenges will be for that day. For example, if the title of my devotions says "How to trust God thru disappointment" I assume that means I will face a tough day filled with disappointments and with a heavy sigh, read the devotion and "buck up" to face whatever is coming my way. I even look ahead in my devotional and get anxious if I read a challenging title.
Now I'm quite positive that this is EXACTLY what God wants me to get out of my devotions.
Seriously, I am certain that God wants to stretch me and challenge me so that I draw closer to Him, not so that I will anticipate what's ahead but that I can trust Him to make me more like Him no matter what He brings my way- good or bad.

Anyone else find themselves using devotions as a horoscope?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe those devotions are there to help you figure out how to process past disappointments so they don't continue to cause hurt instead of communicating that any particular day holds disappointment? Just a thought. I do the same thing, especially with flying. If I heard about a plane crash in a time before I'm going to fly, I assume I heard it because I'm supposed to prepare for the fact that I'm going to die. Thankfully, God does not operate in like the game of Clue - He doesn't leave us a trail of things to figure out and be secretive while He does. I think He operates by answering our questions with reminders of Who He is. Just my thoughts, but thanks for being transparent with this!

    ReplyDelete